[LIS-Forum] Internet for schools

Subbiah Arunachalam arun at mssrf.res.in
Sat Apr 15 15:56:01 IST 2006

Internet2 Survey Finds Over 46,000 K20 Institutions Connected to its
Advanced Network
K20 access to advanced networking more than quadruples in four years.
http://k20.internet2.edu/survey/survey_index.php

More than 46,000 K-12 schools, community colleges, libraries, and
museums in 35 U.S. states are now connected to the Internet2 backbone
network according to the results of a bi-annual survey, released
recently. The survey highlights the success of the nationwide
Internet2 K20 Initiative in bringing together Internet2 member
institutions and innovators from primary and secondary schools,
colleges and universities, libraries, and museums to extend new
technologies, applications, and advanced content to all educational
sectors across the country.

Friends:

It is important for us in India to provide Internet connectivity (of reasonable bandwidth) to all our educational institutions. It may sound esoteric, but it is a real need. While we still have schools without proper classrooms, blackboards and decent buildings, one may feel some trepidation to talk about Internet in every school. In my view both are important. We should work on both content and the best means to disseminate/ access the content. It is in this context, both open access and open course ware acquire tremendous importance.

Look at what the Azim Premji Foundation is doing in distant hamlets in Kolar district. They have set up many computers in village schools (in mud buildings) and have employed a local graduate trained in computers and educational materal in CD-ROM and are enabling children of class 3 onwards to use the computers and augment their classroom learning with CD-ROM supplements.  Look at what the National Virtual Academy for Rural Prosperity is aiming to do. Through a network of village knowledge centres and trained volunteers (from among the local communities), NVA is attempting to spread the knowledge revolution in rural India. The Knowledge Commission will do well to work with this enthusiastic rural cadres.

Subbiah Arunachalam