[LIS-Forum] Six Barriers for Open Access Repositories.

Sukhdev Singh esukhdev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 10:38:10 IST 2005

>From the following paper, I could infer that there are six barriers to Open
Access Repositories.

[Gerard van Westrienen and Clifford A. Lynch (2005). Academic Institutional
Repositories: Deployment Status in 13 Nations as of Mid 2005, D-Lib
Magazine, 11(9),
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/september05/westrienen/09westrienen.html ]

These are:

ONE--Confusion, Uncertainty and Fear on Copyright Issues.

TWO--Doubts regarding Who and How the deposited material would be used.

THREE--Doubts on getting proper attribution, impact factors and scholarly
credit.

FOUR--Myth of low quality material in institutional repositories.

FIVE--Unfriendly submission procedures

SIX--lack of mandatory provisions in the policies of institutions or funding
organizations to deposit the outcome of academic research.

We should strive to overcome these barriers, but How!!?

--Sukhdev Singh,NIC. http://openmed.nic.in