[LIS-Forum] [Fwd: [BOAI] Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora (fwd)]

Subbiah Arunachalam arun at mssrf.res.in
Sun Nov 20 21:03:08 IST 2005

Subject: Comparison of EPrints, DSpace and Fedora

I am doing a comparison of functionality and adopter experiences for the
two most widely used institutional archive-creating software packages for
repositories: EPrints and DSpace, and also Fedora (a minor player globally
but possibly important in Australia).  I am seeking your help in
collecting information. Information about other packages would also be
welcome.

(1) If you have used or compared any of this software, could you
please take the time to let me know what you consider the respective
advantages/disadvantages of each to be, and for what purposes? I am also
interested in features that you think are equivalent or readily achieved
in each.

(2) The two major software packages explain their orientation as
follows: EPrints puts a particular emphasis on OA content (preprints and
postprints of institutional research output, plus theses), DSpace on
digital curation in general. Fedora describes itself as repository storage
layer software requiring custom front-ends for any purpose. If you have
any specific comments on these overall orientations and
whether they are appropriate, they would be very helpful too.

(3) While all these packages are free and open source, I would also be
interested in any cost estimates in implementing the one you chose, how
many hours or dollars you spent on setup, how much maintenance you have to
expend, and how reliable the software is (crashes, downtime, etc). Would
you recommend it to someone else?

I will post a summary of the results (and maybe an interim report) on
AmSci OA Forum, and may get back to you if I reed a bit more detail. Thank
you in anticipation of a prompt response and a flood of emails. Email
direct to me at Arthur.Sale at utas.edu.au if you want.

Arthur Sale
Professor of Computing (Research)
University of Tasmania