[LIS-Forum] Why English is so Difficult to Learn
Mailing List Manager
mailman at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Thu Mar 10 16:09:13 IST 2005
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:05:53 +0530
From: ++ Mukesh Anand ++ <mukesh at monitorinfo.com>
Hope the following will take some heat off the topical
discussion among the forum members:
Why English is so Difficult to Learn:
The 500 most commonly used words in the English Language
have over 14,000 meanings! Please ponder over some examples:
1. The bandage was wound around the wound
2. The farm was used to produce produce.
3. The dump was so full that she had to refuse more refuse.
4. He could lead if would get the lead out
5. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
6. I did not object to the object lying on floor.
7. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
8. They were too close to the door to close it.
9. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend.
10. When shot at, the dove dove into bushes.
11. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
12. He saw a saw, which could not saw.
No wonder, English Language is so Difficult to Learn
Hyderabad - India
More information about the LIS-Forum