[LIS-Forum] Libraries in Phone Directory

Vyasamoorthy at icicikp.com Vyasamoorthy at icicikp.com
Wed Mar 9 10:34:43 IST 2005

Dear Friends,

I did a telephone directory search using BSNL's website:
http://www.ap.bsnl.com/enquiry/search.asp

When I tried the search string 'library' in "name - anywhere" I got 14
results. Out of this only 8 were real libraries. Then I did a search
for the same string (library) in "address - anywhere", and I got
220 results.

Twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad do have a few hundred
libraries - big and small, public and private, academic & special --
all put together. Only very few of them (just 8) have phone numbers
listed against their own identification as a library. The larger
number of results in the second search shows that people use library
to identify their addresses / location by saying near  'so and so
library'.

While librarians are failing to use telephone directory as a means to
publicity or as a tool for communication, unintended publicity comes
from the public -- of course non-library users! At least that way
they find libraries useful!

Any comments?

Vyasamoorthy, P

Dr.P.Vyasamoorthy, Advisor, Virtual Information Centre,
ICICI Knowledge Park, Genome Valley, Turkapally, Shameerpet Mandal,
RR District, Hyderabad 500078 INDIA
Email: vyasamoorthy at icicikp.com
Phone - Office: +91(40)23480053 Fax: +91(40)23480007 Phone Residence: +91(40)27846631