[LIS-Forum] TBR - Great Loss

I.R.N.Goudar goudar at css.nal.res.in
Tue Jun 7 13:31:26 IST 2005

Friends,

When I heard the telephone ringing at my residence  during the  odd hour
at 4.45 am on 4th I could lift  the phone with unknown fear.  It carried
the shocking news intimating untimely  and sad demise of  my friend and
professional colleague Dr. TBR due to tragic accident the previous
evening.  Since my digital organizer was new it had very few numbers to
inform friends, colleagues and students of Dr. Rajashekar.  I could
inform as many as I could using BSNL Telephone Directory including NCSI
colleagues and in turn requesting them to inform others.  I am sorry if I
could not inform some of you in time due to nonavailabilty of telephone
number.  In spite of being Saturday a good number people could give their
last respect and tearful farewell to TBR.  The news spread like a wild
fire  and phone calls were flooded from all corners of the country for
2-3 days.

TBR and myself were classmates and housemates at DRTC.  Even as a student
he was hard working and dedicated to the professional cause. He was more
fond of developmental and academic activities than routine administration.
His contributions to the professional developments both at national and
international level are remarkable.

He was associated with NAL in a big way by way of helping us to deliver
lecture in workshops, conferences and having common projects. He helped us
to develop our institutional repository using E-Prints (Will be announced
soon). Probably we have been the major beneficiary of his services
through seven of his  students and even now four are with us.  Most of the
Digital library activities  and related services, open archive movements
in the country had the  benefit of his expertise.  DL related conferences
used his service for tutorials.  More than anything else he was very
calm, but with charismatic qualities.  To tell in one sentence his death
is a great loss  to his family, friends, LIS and IT profession and many
past, present and prospective students of NCSI.

We had a condolence meeting at our Information Centre and like wise I  got
the news of  similar meetings already held and also planned  shortly in
different parts of the country. May the Almighty  give the strengths to
all of us and specially his family members to bear this irreplaceable loss
and may Raju's soul rest in peace.

Goudar
I.R.N. Goudar			          Tel: 91-80-25086081
Head, Information Centre for 	  	       91-80-25235315
Aerospace Science and Technology	  Fax: 91-80-25268072
National Aerospace Laboratories           E-mail:goudar at css.nal.res.in
Airport Road, BANGALORE-560 017  India
http://www.icast.org.in/staff/goudar.html