[LIS-Forum] Copyright act for news paper articles

sathya sathya at informindia.co.in
Mon Feb 28 18:27:24 IST 2005

Newspaper content is copyrighted as much as the content published in
scholarly jourals.
Broadyly there are three types of  content (excluding advertisement).
1. Articles from the Newspaper's correspondents  -- Copyright is owned by
the Newspaper.
2. Newswire distributed content (wire services like PTI, UNI, Reuters, etc.
gather and distribute the content to newspapers).  The wire services license
the content to newspapers under certain mutually agreed terms. The copyright
is held by wire servces but assigned to the newspaper.
3. Signed articles - The newspapers will have syndicated coloumnists who
contribute articles. They are like authors. They hold the copyright and
assign it to news paers.

Unrestricted access and free availability of the content on the web doesnot
mean that the content has no copyright. All content that is put on the web
is treated as published content and if it carries copyright mark, it is
deemed to be copyrighted.

Sathya
N V Sathyanarayana
Informatics (India) Ltd