[LIS-Forum] Communication skills

gayathri sen gayatsen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 14:54:43 IST 2005

Dear friends,
I strongly endorse the views of Dr. Vysamoorthy regarding the present day out comes of Libray Schools. I have even spoken about this to some professors teaching in library schools.
Librarian or Information Officers  position involves dealing with users, managements, government bodies etc. etc.
When the library staff or the librarian himself cannot present himself well what respect can you expect in organizations?
To improve the situation, like how english classes are introduced in technical courses like B.E., even in library courses english should be made compulsory. This may solve the problem to a small extent.
I take english classes for few staff members in my library whenever I have some time, so that they can present themselves better in front of users.
Many come from rural back ground and hence this drawback.
Gayathri Sen
PESIT