[LIS-Forum] KALA: Dream/Agenda

I.R.N.Goudar goudar at css.nal.res.in
Fri Aug 19 16:01:30 IST 2005

Dear friends,

Myself and my team of newly elected office bearers of KALA (Karnataka
State Library Association) thank all those who have sent greetings and
also all members of KALA for having reposed confidence in us and entrusted
the important responsibility. The team is very cohesive with
representation from different types of  libraries including
public, college, industry, school, research institute and university
(library and department).  Over the years KALA has seen many ups and
downs. It has glorious history of having great personalities from public
life, educationists, industrialists like late H. Narasimhaiah,  S.R.
Kanti  and A.C. Devegowda as its office  bearers. The erstwhile Mysore
Library Association started by Dr. Ranganathan lead for establishing our
Association in its present name KALA. There is strong professional link
between Dept. of Public Libraries and KALA.

We have a dream of making KALA as a model Professional Association with
the following Agenda, set for ourselves, a few being already in the list
of KALA objectives:

1.  Increase the membership base
2.  Make the Association its name worth
    - Membership and activities beyond Bangalore
    - Membership of Karnataka LIS people working out of state
3.  Enrolling other professional people having strong link with LIS
4.  Divisional/District representatives  to reach entire state and beyond
5.  Functional Committees and Special Interest Groups
6.  Reviving monthly lectures/ Round table discussions
7.  Organising Workshops and Seminars
8.  Developing links with all State/National and other Library
    Associations including ILA, IASLIC, SIS,  etc
9.  Work closely with other local Associations like CLA, SLA, ITLA,
    BSLG and also SRELS
10. Set up a e-mail discussion group
11. Establish cordial and functional relation with Publishing
    industry and vendors
12. Take up the matter concerned to status of LIS profession in the
    matter concerned to salary, representation in different committees,
    etc
13. Setting up of KALA  Web site
14. Reviving KALA News Letter
15. Generating revenue to meet the expenses of KALA Activities
16. Entrust young LIS professionals with the responsibility of
    carrying forward the KALA's mission and activities more vigorously
17. Prepare LIS Professionals to cope up with the Digital Era
18. Using KALA's good relation with Dept of Public Libraries, work with
    them for literacy at village level and promote library cause
19. Try to have it own office place for KALA
20. Associate with NGO's to promote school libraries

We will come up with detailed action plan soon after we take charge of
KALA.  We thank all earlier Presidents, Secretaries and other office
bearers for their contributions and support for KALA and its activities
and seek their guidance in our endeavor.

We seek suggestions, guidance and  help from members of all forums and
associations.

Once again we thank all of you.

I.R.N. Goudar
President, KALA on behalf of all Office Bearers

I.R.N. Goudar			          Tel: 91-80-25086081
Head, Information Centre for 	  	       91-80-25235315
Aerospace Science and Technology	  Fax: 91-80-25268072
National Aerospace Laboratories           E-mail:goudar at css.nal.res.in
Airport Road, BANGALORE-560 017  India
http://www.icast.org.in/staff/goudar.html