[LIS-Forum] Re: [iatlis] Future of LIS Education-India - A warning Bell?

Prof. N. Laxman Rao. naglaxman at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 13:27:43 IST 2005

Dear friends,

 i think it is time for us to self assessment or self introspection, before we comment any thing and on any one. What is our contribution to the professiona and Associations. To what extent we did justice to our profession.

Every one is looking for the positions and if one gets it, he will be talking all the ethics ( of course never follows the same). othewise accuse others. if i compete somewhere and get the same, i am the best in the world otherwise the comment is that persons are selected on the basis of influence?

It is a fact that there is decreasing committment on the part of the professionals ( to the larger extent- there are many who sincerely work and do justice to their job), which is with any other profession. the person, who works in Distance education speaks of high about the same and the day he / she is out--- the criticism comes. we know many people have brought negative impact for the whole profession and several enquiry committees are beign appointed against our owen professionals.

even we can find the best ---- awards based on favouratism. i also agree many efficient and committed professionals do not send their bio data- which results in selecting the  best among lot. but we can also find that eventhough there are glaring cases, where efficient person is not given by nominating experts who can be influenced.

coming to IATLIS9 ( as a president i feel that i should answer the issue raised by Dr.Konnur), what has to be done at our level, we have done. many teaches do not have courtesy to send the information for the news letter. they donot make their own colleagues as a members. with inour limitations we have done / doing. we are not protectors of the IATLIS. during next two months the elections are there, those protectors can contest and do some thing great, which we could not do. whta is possible with us, we have done- every year conducting a national conferrence, we have aleady published five books. unfortunately, no teacher comes forward to buy the IATLIS publications and want them free for themselves and for their libraries. this i am able to say on the basis of practical expereinces.we have no guts to comment or criticise any one who does glaringly blunders. did we do anything when we could find thousands fo bogus votes in ILA elections. everry one became silent and the issue!
  was
 buried. i do not know what steps were taken by Associations to stop the same in future.

THEREFORE, I SUGGEST STOP THROWING MUD ON ANY ONE OR ASSOCIATION who are working their best. TRY TO motivate, help others to do something for the profession. if some one is ready to take up the job- there are many professionals- to support and guide such activities.

i will appreciate, if people take everything in right spirit and work for the betterment of the profession. may be i will be there in the profession for another three years, but the younger generation needs to be given an opportunity, encouragement, guidance.

laxman rao

r.P.V.Konnur" <pv_konnur at yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Friends,

It would be little harder stuff to digest for some people.
If I am wrong I may be criticised. I will stand corrected
otherwise I wish all of us should put some efforts in this
direction and should see that we gain recognition from
Govt.

I appreciate the efforts of Prof Rath who has placed a very
pertinent and timely professional issue before us. He has
also cited several examples of different professional
bodies recognized by Govt. of India. His question is right
“Why not ours?”

This question will not be answered by any one of us. It
should be addressed by the Govt. For this Government needs
some representation and an en masse cry from the entire
profession so that they can hear us. For which we need
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS.

Unfortunately, our Indian Library Association has become a
doll in the hands of some vested interest Librarians who
play their games as per their whims and fancies. Some
times they move their coins for South Indian Librarians
also to show that they give good representation. But they
see that these south Indian Presidents cannot implement
their ideas. Till today we have never seen any effort of
ILA fighting for the cause of its members. Their main
fight with Government of India is to release IFLA
conference money. So that, they can spend that money
also. Very few of many burning issues of the profession
have been listed bellow. None of the ILA presidents could
take up these issues during their tenure. So-called
caretakers of ILA who are enjoying power decades together
can substantiate their efforts in resolving these issues:

1.Academic status for college librarians
2.Career advancement for college librarian
3.Protest against Non Professionals being recruited against
professional positions in Universities & IISc etc.
4.60% of the posts of University Libraries are not filled
up.Professors of different disciplines are managing the
University Libraries as In charge University Librarians.
There is no protest from any one of our professional
Associations.
5.Many of the Universities are calling for tender for
subscription of journals and purchase of books like other
commodities. There is no interference of our Professional
Associations.
6.Good Office committee is another scandle wherein our ILA
is a party.

Now coming to IATLIS. This organization was sleeping for
decades till it come to Hyderabad. I agree that there were
some vibrant initiatives shown in the beginning of this
organization taken over to Osmania University, but year
after year when the office bearers felt that there is no
body to contest for taking care of this organization, they
have also reduced their interest and initiatives except
running an unattended discussion forum without having any
administrator. Anybody including private non-professionals
can subscribe to this forum and advertise their products.

Sir, this is a warning bell. Let us all alert now. If we
delay any more it will be too late for us to regain the
control over our profession. Let us build up pressure on
our professional Associations to work for us. If they
cannot do so, let them step down. There are so many young
professionals who are more capable of working for us.

Though I have so many things to write, I feel it will cost
lot of your patience. I request you all to excuse me if I
have hurt some of your (who are very honestly working for
the associations but I have generalized) sentiments. It
was unavoidable.

Hoping to draw all your attention and needful action.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,
Dr. P.V. Konnur.
University Librarian
Goa University, Goa.

--- Pravakar Rath
wrote:
> [...]
> discharge its
> functions under the Advocates Act 1961. An important
> rule-making power is
> with reference to laying down guidelines for the
> standards of professional
> conduct and etiquette to be observed by advocates.
>
> The Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), also known as
> Central council, was
> constituted under section 3 of the Pharmacy Act, 1948.
> The PCI controls
> pharmacy education and profession in India up to graduate
> level. The Council
> prescribes the minimum standard of education for
> qualification as
> pharmacist.
>
> Dentists Council of India, constituted under the Dentists
> Act, 1948, is a
> Statutory Body incorporated under an Act of Parliament to
> regulate the
> dental education and the profession of Dentistry
> throughout India
>
> The National Council for Teacher Education is a statutory
> body set up under
> the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 to
> facilitate planned
> and coordinated development of the teacher education
> system in the country,
> and for regulation and proper maintenance of norms and
> standards in the
> teacher education system.
>
> ICAR has established various research centers in order to
> meet the
> agricultural research and education needs of the country.
> It is actively
> pursuing human resource development in the field of
> agricultural sciences by
> setting up numerous agricultural universities spanning
> the entire country.
>
> All India council for Technical Education has been
> established under the
> AICTE Act, 1987. The council is authorized to take all
> steps that are
> considered appropriate for ensuring coordinated and
> integrated development
> of technical education and for maintenance of standards.
>

> Considering the reality of the situation and future of
> LIS education in the
> country, Our colleagues are requested to suggest what
> should be the future
> course of action to maintain professional standards of
> LIS in the country.
> Whether we should move an idea for establishing a
> similar Council or any
> other alternative propositions. But it is the high time
> to think on this
> issue and let IATLIS be requested to prepare a Blue Print
> on this which
> could be a basis for Brain Storming Session in the
> coming IATLIS conference
> in shaping the LIS education in India.
>
> My best wishes
>
> Dr Pravakar Rath
> Professor and Head
> Chairman, Board of Studies
> Department of Library and Information Science

Dr.P.V.Konnur,
University Librarian,
Goa University Library,
Taleigao Plateau, Goa - 403 206.
Phone: 0832-2456031 (O)
0832-2451008 (R)

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rKxVKC/SOnJAA/n1hLAA/Z8erlB/TM

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

wrote:
> My Dear Colleagues
>
> I would like bring to your notice a very pertinent and
> timely professional
> issue which need to be considered for our survival and
> existence in the
> changing scenario. As on date there are as many as 90
> universities offering
> LIS Courses at different levels (Certificate, Diploma,
> BLIS, MLIS, M Phil
> and Ph.D). Library and Information Science being a
> professional education
> definitely requires maintaining standards of excellence
> to develop
> professional knowledge and skills in this age of
> information and to create
> an appropriate job market to compete in national and
> global level. There are
> a number of Councils for other professional and technical
> educations in the
> country created to maintain professional standards of
> that education. Some
> of ! them are listed below.
>
> The Council of Architecture (COA) was constituted under
> the provisions of
> the Architects Act, 1972, enacted by the Parliament of
> India. The Act
> provides for registration of Architects, standards of
> education, recognized
> qualifications and standards of practice to be complied
> with by the
> practicing architects.
>
> The Central Council of Homoeopathy was established under
> the Homoeopathy
> Central Council Act, 1973. The Council prescribes and
> recognizes all
> homeopathic medicine qualifications.
>
> The Bar Council of India is empowered to make rules to
> discharge its
> functions under the Advocates Act 1961. An important
> rule-making power is
> with reference to laying down guidelines for the
> standards of professional
> conduct and etiquette to be observed by advocates.
>
> The Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), also known as
> Central council, was
> constituted under section 3 of the Pharmacy Act, 1948.
> The PCI controls
> pharmacy education and profession in India up to graduate
> level. The Council
> prescribes the minimum standard of education for
> qualification as
> pharmacist.
>
> Dentists Council of India, constituted under the Dentists
> Act, 1948, is a
> Statutory Body incorporated under an Act of Parliament to
> regulate the
> dental education and the profession of Dentistry
> throughout India
>
> The National Council for Teacher Education is a statutory
> body set up under
> the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993 to
> facilitate planned
> and coordinated development of the teacher education
> system in the country,
> and for regulation and proper maintenance of norms and
&g! t; standards in the