[LIS-Forum] scanning books and copyright laws

Byrappa, Ananda (Research) ananda.byrappa at ge.com
Thu Sep 2 10:48:55 IST 2004

Thanks, Sathya.

LOCKSS(Lot of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe)is an interesting project. But it apprars to me that, the scope of the project is limited to crawling, preserving and providing access to digital content. I did not see anything about converting "print" to "digital". Please let me know if my understanding is not correct.

But, it sounds like a promising initiative for archiving subscribed digital content provided the publishers allow us to do the following:

	- To provide permission to collect, preserve and provide access to their content
	- Give permission to LOCKSS crawler to collect the content through a publisher manifest

Thanks for letting us know about an interesting digital project, LOCKSS (http://lockss.stanford.edu)

Regards,
Anand

Ananda T Byrappa	                      	 		e-mail:   ananda.byrappa at ge.com
Whitney Knowledge Centre, GE Global Research	 	Work:  +91-80-25032618   DCom:8*9012618
John F. Welch Technology Center         			Fax:     +91-80-28412114