[LIS-Forum] 25,000 titles (books) in Enginering field

Tue Jul 20 10:31:01 IST 2004

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:58:34 +0530
From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun at mssrf.res.in>

Strange indeed. Will any 25,000 books do? Is there no selection, no
involvement in the selection by the faculty? In my long career I have had
many friends in the publishing and bookselling industry. I have seen
librarians/principals/professors coming to bookstalls in late March and
procuring books in a hurry to beat the deadline. Even while we buy
vegetables in the market, Indians pick and choose. But when it comes to
books, we "have to procure' a certain number before a certain date to meet
satisfy some body. The booksellers will unload all the unsold titles,
remainders they bought by shipload.

Arun