[LIS-Forum] should lis-forum allow commercial vendors as members?

Fri Jul 2 15:55:47 IST 2004

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:12:24 +0530
From: Vyasamoorthy at icicikp.com

Request to moderator of Lis-forum: If contents are OK with you, please =
permit the entire message with all forwarded messages - just this time ; =
this would give the background needed for discussion. Thanks. =
Vyasamoorthy, P

Dear All,
Please see postings of: Rajendra Babu, Maduresh Singhal, Mukesh Anand =
quoted below.

I have no dilemma on this issue. We should allow all who are likely to =
benefit librarians' community and promote (I would not say protect) our =
interests. After all we do depend upon vendors for supply of books =
periodicals & documents. What is wrong if they join and get to know our =
problems, perspectives and feelings? Things might change for the better.

There are many occasions in Lis-Forum where requests for sourcing old =
books, info on RFID, info on certain software etc came up; I have =
forwarded them individually to suitable vendors for action. Enquirers =
have benefited. If library suppliers are part of the forum they could =
respond directly to individual's requirements -- if answering via forum =
may be looked upon as 'commercial' activity.

Moreover, we, in VIC act as providers of information, literature =
searches, documents etc to our customers by procuring the same from =
other sources including libraries, commercial book sellers, publishers =
and online sources. As we act as intermediaries we have interests of =
librarians (as we are librarians) and that of vendors as we are vendors =
too.

I do not find anything bad, unwelcome, un-holy about commercial =
activities. We should shed this inhibition of allowing commercial =
fellows into our fold. Government Institutions still have this "Us" and =
"they" attitude strongly entrenched in them. This must go. However when =
one section of the society tends to unnecessarily exploit the other to =
their undue advantage then that has to be checked. This correction will =
occur automatically as and when aberrations happen.

Regards,
Dr.P.Vyasamoorthy, Advisor, Virtual Information Centre,=20
ICICI Knowledge Park, Genome Valley, Turkapally, Shameerpet Mandal,=20
RR District, Hyderabad 500078 INDIA=20
Email: vyasamoorthy at icicikp.com=20
Phone - Office: +91(40)23480053 Fax: +91(40)23480007 Phone Residence: =
+91(40)27846631=20