[LIS-Forum] FW: PNAS not yet free to Indians!

Mon Apr 26 11:05:21 IST 2004

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:56:49 +0530
From: Subbiah Arunachalam <arun at mssrf.res.in>

Friends:

I am happy to inform you that soon scientists and research students in India
will get free access to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,
USA, immediately on publication. I have been writing to officials at the NAS
for some time and this letter from Prof. Bruce Alberts, President, NAS,
makes me extremely happy. Best wishes.

Arun

-------

I am pleased to be able to announce that, at the NAS publishing
committee meeting a week ago, it was voted to increase the list of
immediately free nations for PNAS to match the list for our immediately
free PDFs of 3000 Academy books and reports. Those nations just added
include India and South Africa, and will now total 140.

All nations everywhere (including the US) have been getting PNAS for
free for many years, following a 6 month delay from the publication
date.

The publisher of PNAS, Ken Fulton, and I will send everyone an email
once the new system has been fully implemented on the PNAS website.
There has been a brief delay because of the software installations
needed to implement the change on the site.

With best regards, Bruce