[KM-Forum] Setting up KM Practice for Pre-sales

sarup.p at tcs.com sarup.p at tcs.com
Mon Jun 19 19:41:56 IST 2006

Dear Deepak/Rajith,

In an IT services company, presales usually revolves around RFP's and
their responses.

I agree with what Deepak has put across. "Basically they need information
about the company, employees, financial, legal, facilities, upto quality &
HR."

However there is the other aspect of KM which is very important "To know
what We know and what We can do". Even in a restricted domain of ECM(for
which I have done pre-sales), I have found that the presales team is not
completely aware of solutions that have been implemented/proposed to other
client/projects. Hence we need to keep that information updated too. There
may be different approaches to "know what I know", however, the following
3 I have found very effective.

> A distilled library of components that go into a proposal/solution
> Revolving associates from technical projects into pre-sales teams along
with core functional (preferably MBA's)
> A newsletter to share info regarding projects in a particular domain. An
interactive forum is also effective

Particularly helpful here is the first option. What I call "Identify what
is a knowledge artifact for you"? A proposal is not a knowledge artifact,
since though information is present within it, it lacks usability. It's
too huge and getting a particular information is time taking and hence
repelling. So what is required is identification, categorization, and
enforced storage of knowledge artefacts. In case of proposal they would
be:
>Solution Diagrams
>Compliance Sheets for generic solutions
>Estimation Sheets (effort and cost)
>Text used for generic solutions
> Basically all the components One needs to put for proposing a solution.

The taxonomy will come very handy here, where one can classify these
artefacts as per
>Industry
>Solution
>Technology
>Geography

Suggested is that such information be rather kept in  Document Management
System(and not through a portal), which has more security and version
control which are essential for such a situation.

Email is still the best collaborative approach, however there would be a
lot of content centric review processes for such artefacts. Hence using a
BPM tool that can work over a ECM solution is suggested. If such a
solution can be integrated with email, it could be near ideal.

However, the most important aspect, is as always, people. They must be
ready first. They should understand the efficiency KM would bring in.

My two paise
Sarup Paul
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Mailto: sarup.p at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

<deepak.venkatappa at wipro.com>
Sent by: km-forum-bounces at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
06/19/2006 04:00 PM
Please respond to
Global discussion forum for Knowledge Management
<km-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>

<km-forum at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in>
cc
rajith.surendran at gmail.com
Subject
RE: [KM-Forum] Setting up KM Practice for Pre-sales

Rajith,

As Sarup said there are limited resources on this area. The requirements
from pre-sales has no ends.
To start up, get in touch with the team & study their requirements.
Basically they need information about the company, employees,
financials, legal, facilities, upto quality & HR. The other aspects of
KM will be the same. Like document repository with a good search tool,
attractive front end for easy navigation & reports section. It is very
important to give ownership to these categories since there will be
regular update to these content. They use e-mail as a collaborative tool
for anything & everything. Make sure you provide a collaboration tool to
broadcast queries to all the team members.
All the raised queries can be again made available to the team.

Regards
Deepak