[KM-Forum] Welcome to the "KM-Forum" mailing list

Satish, Mariyappagoudar (IE10) Satish.Mariyappagoudar at honeywell.com
Fri Jun 16 11:21:31 IST 2006

Hi Aletha,

I completely agree with Bruce's view/explanation of intelligence..... I remember a quote but not able to recollect who quoted nor able to write as it is, it's something like:

"Knowledge is abstract, information is specific".

Consider a scenario of that a BI person has to come out with findings of business proposition of a new product in 2 years time and it's comparative situation with that of a competitors similar product. Let's assume the BI person approaches the KM  system for help. Most often he might not get what he wants cause it would not be available in the form he require. The KM would help him in providing reports, data, contact, referral details or anything that might be of some significance to his requirement.

Based on what has provided he will extract specific information such as past learning's, future prospects, forecasts, estimates, and other details that he can find useful for his research. These coupled with details from other sources outside of KM and his own analytic ability, intelligence, his own ideas, priori knowledge he will come out with a report or document that contain his findings and this is knowledge creation. This created knowledge can enable in decision making process.

He is essentially creating this 'newness' out of past knowledge, intelligence and data/information. Something similar to what Bruce has explanied.

This scenario is a typical of what BI does along with others, like I had mentioned earlier e.g., predictive analytics, forecasting, optimization etc...and hence are solution providers. Domains like BI or any other analytics are knowledge creators.

Regards,
Satish